1.31.2008

The Quickest Way to Lose My Sympathy

I'm very sympathetic towards labor issues. As a former union member, I witnessed firsthand how important it is to have an organization dedicated solely to looking out for you. My union at the Stop and Shop in South Dennis, UFCW 328, helped me recoup almost $1,000 in back pay that I was unfairly denied. Not bad for a part time seafood clerk.

So if Washington Post production workers haven't received a raise in nearly five years and are in danger of losing their pension, then, yeah, I have their back.

That does not make advertising bombardments ok. The Communications Workers of America (CWA) has placed an obnoxious amount of advertisements in various Metro stations. There are over 50 advertisements in the Farragut North station alone. Yeah, I counted. The only way to avoid them is to close your eyes. They're that ubiquitous.

I'm pissed at Metro for even allowing one company or organization to do that to a Metro station. It's so obnoxious that it borders on parody.

And it's not like the advertisements are that effective. I was going to write this post yesterday but I couldn't remember of the name of the website the ads were touting. It's washingtonpostunfair.com. Check it out and see how the Post is screwing over its productions workers.

There, CWA, I linked to your website. I did my part. Now if you'd do me the favor of not renewing your ad buy with Metro, it would be much appreciated.

11 comments:

  1. I see your point. It's ridiculous to walk through the tunnel between the escalators and the turnstile and see a row of ads, all from the same company/firm/non-profit/what have you.

    At the same time, I don't want to deny Metro ANY revenue they can get, with service so shitty. I can't hold a sign in one hand complaining about the delays, while hold in my other hand a sign admonishing who they sell ads to.

    I can close my eyes if I want to. But I can't magically get my skinny ass downtown on time when the next train is 18 minutes away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't have it both ways.
    Metro needs money, the best way is to sell advertising.

    If you don't like who they're selling to, then don't read the ads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like who they're selling it to. But over 50 ads in one station is unacceptable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do understand why that station in particular is so plastered with those ads, yes? If not, allow me to explain ...

    ... it is the closest Metro station to The Washington Post headquarters. I'm sure that a good number of WaPo employees use that Metro station. Having those ads spread out all over the Metro system just wouldn't make any sense.

    Annoying? Absolutley. Unacceptable? Hardly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess I don't really understand what the big deal is. Companies do this all the time, in subways across the nation. It's mildly irritating, but I'd much rather see it in defense of workers than in favor of Tide Detergent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's not unacceptable just because you find the ads annoying. Their ubiquity will make curious metro riders visit the site. You not only visited the site but linked to it as well, so the campaign obviously worked.

    If the campaign is not aimed at you personally, don't take personal offense.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If it means replacing the stupid Alvin and the Chipmunks poster that's been at my stop for the past 6 months, I'm all for the Union crap. I HATE Alvin and the Chipmunks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yeah, no, i totally swoon at the thought of tim melia, lol.

    didn't the union fail to inform certain people of their rights as members of the union pertaining to interrogation, earning certain evil husbands~of~billy~idol a paid day off?

    p.s. *your ad here*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seriously - companies buy out all the ad space in a Metro Station at once, especially the high-traffic downtown ones all the time. How have you not noticed this until now?

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is called "station domination" -- check it out: http://www.cbsoutdoor.com/media_item.php?itemId=42

    My only problem is that it blocks out any other smaller advertisers. I work for a non-profit and I've found that it is incredibly difficult to get ad space at any of the big stations (Union Station, Metro Center, etc) because they are often rented out this way. No way we can compete for space!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sarah, what about banding together with several other non-profits?

    ReplyDelete