3.30.2010

Moving along...

In case you missed it, I haven't been updating as much here lately. This hasn't been because everything in DC suddenly became wonderful, but rather because spending your days looking for things to hate is tiring. I've been told countless times, "if you hate it so much, why don't you move away." Truth be told, I don't hate it, and you can't make much of a life for yourself in a city if you constantly focus on the negativity.

I started writing here back in November 2008, and I think this site has provided readers with some good stories about some important issues. At the end of the day, though, it stopped being fun. Since this is a labor of love for me, I find little reason to continue working on something that is no longer enjoyable.

I still believe there are important stories to be told about our city, and I will continue to write about them, but just not here. This site has, I believe, run its course. Rusty and James and the others who came before me had their own stories about DC, and ultimately they left the city. I realize now, the entire concept of this site is based on something that many of us who live here dislike--the whiny complaints of people who don't care to stay. There will be no essay contest to determine the next person who can complain the loudest. Instead, I will do the Internet a favor and be done with it.

I leave with no hard feelings towards anyone, and I'm left humbled that I could, in my own way play a small part in the DC media world. I'm proud of the stories about Metro and Alice Swanson. I'm glad I could make a few people think about important things. I'm also glad I could make some people laugh. I have no regrets, other than any amount of time I ever spent worrying about "internet drama" and having "beefs" with other bloggers. It's very easy to get caught up in the blog echo chamber and forget exactly why you ever felt the need to sit down and write. Before you know it, you're forgetting about how the city's social safety net is falling apart, and instead refreshing your RSS to stay ahead of the curve on what the newest wine bar or tapas restaurant is.

All of that said, there are some good people doing some good writing about DC. I urge you to support these people in whatever way you can, even if it's just through a thoughtful comment or email. Most of us do this for free, and it is generally a thankless task.

As for me, I've decided to spend my spare time doing things that make me happy. This seems like quite a novel concept here in the District. I still want to make a difference in my community, but I realize I can do more elsewhere than by writing on this particular blog.

If you're curious to read what I'm up to, feel free to visit my blog. If you're a Tumblr user, you can do the whole 'follow' dealie.

Thanks for (most of) the memories,

Dave