6.15.2009

A (re)statement of purpose

A few items to note. First off, the obligatory "how about that weather" statement. No, really, how about it.

Now I'd like to address the most frequent comment about this site:
"I don't understand that site, if they hate D.C. so much why don't they just move away?"

Pictured: The D.C. Blogosphere

While James F. and Rusty would give you different answers (e.g. they actually did move away), I'm looking at this a bit differently. I didn't grow up here, but I've been here for a while now. I'm going to stay here for a while. There's a difference between hating living in Washington, D.C. and hating all of the incompetence and stupidity that makes it difficult to enjoy living here. I do not hate living here. I quite enjoy living here. My goal for this site is to point out the things that are wrong with this place. You've got a million and a half I love D.C. blogs. You've got thousands of "oh my goodness I love living here everything is great museums yay!" blogs. If you're reading a site called "Why I Hate DC" there is no point in leaving a comment saying "you are too angry why don't you just move."

On top of it, I managed to find a good job in D.C., I'm not about to pick up and leave.

So to sum up, here is a basic mission statement for the current iteration of Why I Hate DC:
why.i.hate.dc exists to provide timely, informative and often humorous commentary about the difficulties and problems of life in Washington, D.C.
If you have any questions about that, well, too bad because that's how it is. Read the site if you'd like, don't read it if you don't want to.

"If you're the [blog] police, who will police the police?"
"I dunno... Coast Guard?"

In other news, never doubt the power of the blog.

10 comments:

  1. I find it very interesting that you would have to EXPLAIN the concept of motif to some individuals. You've clearly hit the big time, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJune 15, 2009

    mat "finds it interesting" because he's better than everyone else! See? mat doesn't need to have it "EXPLAINED" to him because of his advanced cognitive abilities. You know its true, because he just told you so. Yay, mat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJune 15, 2009

    Weren't you asked to leave, M@? Yeah... that's what I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousJune 15, 2009

    Dave,

    You do seem more level headed than many of the previous bloggers on this site.

    Why not rebrand the blog to something else, like "WhatsWrongWithDC?"

    WhyIHateDC has a very negative implication to it which rightfully puts those who love the city on the defensive. Many of the previous bloggers viewed DC as a symbol making it easy to attack anything and everything associated with it, to the point of just sounding spiteful and not making any sense.

    Whether anyone wants to believe it or not, many people actually are from here. The city's black majority generally is from here. The city is home to them and not merely a symbol. Many previous bloggers were insensitive or ignorant of this.

    I find it reprehensible that "outsiders" could move to a city and dedicate a site to "hating" what is someone else's home. I believe you are more moderate and level headed and seem sincere in actually pointing out things that can make living in DC frustrating, even to its proponents.

    I would hope you might consider rebranding the blog in light of restatement of the mission and the things I pointed out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bingo is my Name-OJune 15, 2009

    I've been in DC nearly 20 years, and I found this blog when Googling the name "Cleopatra Jones". Turns out that she's real and she is a native of DC.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnonymousJune 16, 2009

    I doubt the power of this blog due to the mental level of its readership.

    You're over selling your goods.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AnonymousJune 16, 2009

    Anon above is mat.

    See? mat is better than you! You know its true, because mat just told you so!

    mat is smart! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh mat, is there anything you can't do?!

    You should move to a place where intelligent, educated people congregate. Where is the highest concentration of such people in the US? Oh, right.

    Guess you'll be leaving the country then! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  9. AnonymousJune 16, 2009

    Anon above Doormat is mat drawing attention to the anon above that anon.

    Doormat is anon pretending to be mat pretending to be anon pretending to be doormat.

    Who gives a fuck?

    These idiots.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I grew up in the suburbs of PG back in the 70s, and DC sucked about as badly as any other city in those days - OK, maybe not as bad as New York. Spent 25 years in exile on the Great American Desert, came back, and will cheerfully testify that Washingtonians have made this place (and PG) a five-star shithole to rival Detroit. Which is why I live in NoVa.

    ReplyDelete