11.07.2006

The Big Day

Who has two thumbs and is wicked excited about the midterm elections? This Guy!!

Ok, so that joke doesn't work on the Internet unless I become one of those newfangled video bloggers, but, nevertheless, I hope you can feel the excitement through whatever Internet tubes you're reading this on. Excitement!

If you're lucky enough to be outside the city and blessed with Congressional representation, you know what to do. Vote. More specifically, vote Democrat. This especially goes for Maryland and Virginia. These states feature three elections that, according to polls, are statistically tied. I especially want to see Senator George Allen (R-VA) out of a job. He's a racist bully. He represents the Virginia that I hate. The Virginia featured in "Borat." The Virginia that wants the powerful warlord George Bush to drink the blood of every man, woman, and child in Iraq.

Virginia voters also need to get out and strike down the anti-civil union voting initiative on the ballots. Northern Virginia will be instrumental in protecting the rights of gay couples in the state. Don't let the tobacco chewing yahoos in Southwest Virginia tell you that gay relationships have no legal protections.

For the first time in my life, I actually want to live in Virginia. The voting there is so extremely important...please Northern Virginians, don't blow it by not showing up at the polls. Vote for Webb and vote against any legislation that would have gay couples pushed to the outer fringes of society.

On to other matters:

Predictions:
I'd love to hear what you guys think. I'm guessing that Dems take 16 or 17 House races. I'm a but more bullish on the Senate where I think the Dems will take Republican held seats in Montana, Pennsylvania, Ohio. I think we'll take Rhode Island and Virginia too, but I'm feeling a little bit of doubt. I'm also very, very nervous about the Cardin-Steele race in Maryland. I think Cardin will inch it out though.

Election Night Party:
I keep asking my friends and roommates if they would be interested in going to the Late Night Shots party at Smith Point. The reactions I've been getting range from tepid to aggressively negative. Come on, guys!? What are you so afraid of?

I'm really hoping that my feelings get hurt by a drunk blue-blood who doesn't like my "Mr. Fantastic" shirt. That's the best case scenario. Worst case scenario is that everyone is really nice and gets along. That would be so disappointing. Worse yet, it would make me one of "them." Disaster.

(I read somewhere that Smith Point has a policy of not letting the uncool kids into their establishment. This is total bullshit. If they pull that crap on me I am going straight to my friends' apartment. I am a very important blogger, lines shouldn't apply to me.)

Anyways, Smith Point, Wisconsin and O, 8pm. No cover. I do not plan on being fashionably late. Late Night Shots is promising that they'll be playing their usual weekend dance mix. I assume that means lots of Journey (yay!) and Bon Jovi (boo!). If you can't find me, I'll be the awkward guy avoiding eye contact with the cool kids. Just like high school! But with beer!

Totally Random:
If I start blogging less, it's because Guitar Hero II finally came out. I have been doing finger practices to get ready. This is going to eat up every second of my life for the next few weeks. You've been warned.

22 comments:

  1. Diebold hungry!! Grrrrr... Diebild smash booth! Diebold eat ballot! Arrrggghh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In just a few hours, Santorum will eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just for the information of those interested in Question 1:
    A vote yes is a vote not only against gay marriage (which is unnecessary, because gay marriage has been illegal in Virginia for decades and gay unions have been illegal for several years), but also against the rights of straight people who want to "replicate marriage" by sharing health insurance or power of attorney or custody with boyfriends or girlfriends. There's more here: http://hopefulpessimism.blogspot.com/2006/10/i-was-going-to-write.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. DC resident here. Not much to get excited about. City Council rep race, Ward 3. Yawn.

    Fingers crossed for the dems in other states, however. And of course, I can't wait for whatever electronic "voting" (or rigging as they also call it) scandal is sure to go down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rusty, I'd rail against you for supporting of the Democrats, but I'm more happy that you didn't use the phrase "rock the vote." Congratulation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. don't worry - i voted in VA and i voted dem and against the marriage ammendment... so there's one vote

    ReplyDelete
  7. don't worry - i voted in VA and i voted dem and against the marriage ammendment... so there's one vote

    ReplyDelete
  8. Smith Point is list tonight per usual. Dut I hope you get it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i was all ready to vote democratic and against the gay marriage amendment. then I saw rusty's posting. i'm voting republican and for the amendment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. yournamehere, I'm afraid you've got it wrong. Before I get slammed as an anti-gay bigot, I'd like to make it perfectly clear that I'm voting against the amemdment. I'm just playing devil's advocate here.

    One purpose of the amendment is to prohibit activist judges from ignoring the law. It happens all the time, all over the country. Judges contantly overturn rulings or convictions, or reduce sentences simply because they PERSONALLY don't like a law or don't agree with it. This is wrong. That is what the constitutional amendment is supposed to help stop.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Independent voter, agreed. Absolutely.
    But the wording of the amendment is too vague to be constructive in that sense. In fact, it is so vague as to be meaningless.
    Sadly, meaninglessness will not stop it from causing some lengthy arguments and costly court battles for people who can afford neither the time nor money to get stuck in that mire -- people who will not necessarily be gay.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't see it as meaningless at all. For reference, here it is:

    “That only a union between one man and one woman may be a marriage valid in or recognized by this Commonwealth and its political subdivisions.

    This Commonwealth and its political subdivisions shall not create or recognize a legal status for relationships of unmarried individuals that intends to approximate the design, qualities, significance, or effects of marriage. Nor shall this Commonwealth or its political subdivisions create or recognize another union, partnership, or other legal status to which is assigned the rights, benefits, obligations, qualities, or effects of marriage.”

    It seems pretty straightforward to me. One problem I have with it is it also seems to prohibit civil unions, in addition to gay marriage. I think it only affect gays, though. As far as I'm concerned, if you are a straight couple, and want the benefits of marriage, then you get married. Gay couples simply aren't afforded that opportunity, so it will affect gays only.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was just going to go home and take a nap, Rusty, but you shamed me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Il Ratto, my father just sent me an e-mail asking why I'm posting as Rusty and as "Il Ratto."

    Apparently, you look so much like me that my own dad can't tell the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  15. "Judges contantly overturn rulings or convictions, or reduce sentences simply because they PERSONALLY don't like a law or don't agree with it."

    If you could provide us with a single example of when this has happened, please, let us know!

    Judge interpret constitutions. Legislators sometimes don't, and that's wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  16. "Meanwhile, Virginia voters overwhelmingly approved a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage and civil unions and returned all the state's incumbents to the U.S. House."


    Any chance NoVa can secede from the rednecks in the rest of the state?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good guys win! Down goes Macacawicz! Down goes Steele, sister Monica Turner and ex-brother-in-law Mike Tyson! Down goes Man-On-Dog Santorum! Down goes noted starbucks floozie, Katherine Harris! Down goes Old Coot Burns! Down goes Uncle Tom-Asshat Blackwell!

    Bob Corker and Jean Schmidt still make me want to vomit, but no election is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  18. frothy mix, all one has to do is look at the 9th circuit court of appeals in san fran to see an expample of activist judges. the 9th circuit court is the most overturned court in our nation. but considering that this court is made up of the idiots who ruled that the pledge of allegiance is unconstitutional, i guess it can only be expected.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The Ninth Circuit overturned its own ruling on the pledge so your point is moot.

    Although I agree with their original decision. The pledge with "Under God" should not be recited in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Any chance NoVa can secede from the rednecks in the rest of the state?

    A state composed entirely of non-natives? What a country!

    ReplyDelete
  21. fuck you, rusty. I hope you rot in hell.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Usually I share your rants about the city. However, I voted for Allen and for Amendment #1.

    ReplyDelete