11.13.2006

Two Notes

You people who think I complain too much about bars and the Metro...you're not going to like this post. Sorry.

1. Another great DC bar bites the dust. Townhouse Tavern on 17th and R was one of the best spots for weekend drinking. People had been telling me about the excellent Townhouse jukebox months before I made my first appearance there. Hell, it's even mentioned in the Post's write-up. Although I wouldn't call it "the best jukebox in DC," it's certainly top-5. The bar was augmented by a great clientele, good cold bottles of Miller High Life, and a smoking hot bartender who also had the distinction of being one of the friendliest bartenders I had run across in the city.

The bartender is gone. That sucks, but I can work my way through it. Her replacement was super-friendly. Not as hot because he was a dude, but I can deal.

The jukebox is gone too. Replaced by an Internet jukebox. Although I'm against Internet jukeboxes on principle, I'll admit that there are some good ones out there. DC9 and Big Hunt come to mind. Unfortunately, Townhouse purchased one of those evil jukeboxes. The same jukebox featured at Asylum and Buffalo Billiards. The ones that only carry the big hits. If you want to play an obscure song, you're shit out of luck.

This drives me up the wall. The Townhouse jukebox was the bar's biggest draw. Now it's gone. I can't imagine how that makes any business sense. Townhouse isn't a bad bar now, but is it worth the effort when there are a plethora of establishments scattered around the Dupont Metro? Probably not. Way to destroy the thing that made you unique, Townhouse.

2. I mentioned earlier that my morning trains were coming every three minutes instead of every two minutes. Not the end of the world. Now it's every four minutes. It's so bad that I can't get on the train at Friendship Heights since the trains are so full. I feel sorry for the chumps waiting at Tenleytown, Van Ness, Cleveland Park, or, God forbid, Woodley Park. You guys must be sick of this crap.

A common criticism of the Metro is that it runs for work and not for play. Well, it's not even getting the work part right anymore. Maybe I should jog to Bethesda every morning. I'd get a good cardio workout and be able to fit into a train. Win-win.

25 comments:

  1. The jukebox left when Colin left earlier this year. We (townhouse regulars) miss him dearly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote up something similar when one of our locals went belly-up. Don't know if the crappy internet jukebox was part of the problem, but it certainly didn't help.

    In addition to the crappy selection, the whole "slot a credit card (that mummy and daddums are paying for) and pay extra to make mine first all-fucking-night-long" has been cause enough for us to leave a bar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear ya. I waited 7 minutes this morning for a red line train going to Shady Grove. It was jam packed when it arrived of course. And took forever to get anywhere because people kept fighting to get on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. dear rusty,
    where have you been? the jukebox at the tav has been an internet jukebox since at LEAST the beginning of the summer. this is old news.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The downstairs jukebox, maybe. The upstairs jukebox was the real deal as of October 29th when I ordered a few High Lifes (Lives?) before a Halloween party.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not sure how extensive your perusal of the Juke Box was, it's not that much different. Moreover, I think you are not giving it a chance. It is still far better than most bars in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What is up with the metro? I board at Cleveland Park. Lately I've had to miss two trains every morning before I can even board. Metro suckage seems to be increasing.
    I like the old suckage better. Even if it meant waiting in a dark tunnel for the train ahead, at least i was ON a train.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you write a blog about DC but you live in friendship heights?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Who cares about the Jukebox. Where did the "smoking hot" bartender go?

    ReplyDelete
  10. hmm i just realized that i've never actually been upstairs at the tav. only the basement...

    ReplyDelete
  11. win-win....win

    ReplyDelete
  12. KILL EM' ALL

    LET GOD SORT EM' OUT

    ReplyDelete
  13. let's backtrack a little bit...

    what's the problem with internet jukeboxes? i mean, to begin with they generally hold a wider music selection (and are probably easier to update) than conventional jukeboxes.

    as far as i know, the only downside is that you have to pay extra if you want a song that's not listed on the machine...but it at least beats not having any hipster indie-rock to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Internet jukeboxes suck because:

    1. I hate change.

    2. People skip ahead of you in line by paying an extra dollar.

    3. Many Internet jukeboxes feature only singles. All jukeboxes should be legally forced to carry entire albums.

    ReplyDelete
  15. testing. anonymous commenting is back? did you write about this and i missed it? amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Much like your idea for jogging to Bethesda, my overall health has been improved by Metro suckage. Since I moved to DC I am far, far more motivated to go to the gym before work because it means that I can ride a non-sardine-can train.

    To be fair, though, in Metro's half-assed defense, everywhere else I've ever lived with a subway had the same problem during rush hour -- too many riders, not enough trains. Basically, I guess, my defense amounts to "DC Metro isn't the only metro that sucks."

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beck, you're right re every commute sucking. But the Metro was fine three months ago. This is a new problem.

    ReplyDelete
  18. beck is right. if you can stand it, going to work as early as possible makes a big difference. i arrive at 7 and leave at 4. the urge to ram my smartrip card in everyone's ass has decreased a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  19. interesting. i was at Recessions last night, and their internet juke has full albums.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Some do, some don't.

    Don't go to Recessions.

    ReplyDelete
  21. eh, wasn't my idea. although didn't think it was too bad for a monday night ($3 for 22 oz. drafts, no large crowds)

    ReplyDelete
  22. The other day I got on at Shady Grove (walk (metro ride?) of fame) and the train was packed BEFORE the train even left the station. Sorry Medical Center et al.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I was in DC last week and the Metro is MUCH worse than it was when I lived there just a year ago. I arrived at National on Saturday night and grabbed a train to go downtown to the hotel. It was only 8:30pm, but it took 15 minutes for a Blue line to show up. Then twice during the week at midday, I had to wait 15 minutes each time for a train to show up, but both times trains that said "No passengers" flew right through the station. Wouldn't it make more sense to use those trains as far as Metro could instead of just wasting a train run?!?!

    The whole idea for public transportation is to make it easier for people to commute in high traffic areas; but Metro is more of a LAST resort if you ask me and sitting in my car without having some douche hit me in the nuts repeatedly b/c he doesn't pay attention where his messenger bag is flying around on a crowded train at 11:30 in the morning is much better, especially when coupled with the high cost of parking at Metro lots now!!!

    Worst subway system ever!!! I'd even take the Moscow one anyday of the week over DC's.

    ReplyDelete
  24. metro may seem awful but it's quite efficient compared to public transit in boston. if you think the metro needs an update, try the T. we may not have 24 hour service like nyc but at least metro runs late on weekends. as far as i know boston doesn't even have weekend late night bus service anymore. and our trains go more than 4 mph.

    ReplyDelete
  25. i live in woodley park. catching a train between 830-930am is impossible.
    it never used to be like that.

    ...

    le sigh

    ReplyDelete