8.31.2004

That's right, Mac... duff. I am dangerous.

Macbeth is my favorite Shakespeare play, and I saw a great performance of it over the summer at the Royal Shakespeare Company in Stratford-upon-Avon, England.

I will not be going to see the play at The Shakespeare Theater in D.C. Why?

Well, let's say you're casting Macbeth. Who is the absolute last person you would cast as the conniving, murderous Lady Macbeth?

If you said Kelly McGillis, the love interest from Top Gun, you win. And yet, hilariously, that's who they cast: the least convincing on-screen astro-physicist ever. I can see it now...

LADY MACBETH: My review of your performance was right on, Macbeth.

MACBETH: Is that right?

LADY MACBETH: That is right, but I held something back. I see some real genius in your swordfighting, but I can't say that in there. I was afraid that every one in the courtyard would see right through me, and I just don't want anyone to know that... [breathlessly] I've fallen for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment