4.12.2007

Kurt Vonnegut is in Heaven Now

I discovered Kurt Vonnegut in summer of 1998. Freshmen at Sacred Heart High School had to read three books that summer. One of them was Slaughterhouse-Five. I don't remember the other two. I finished the book in three days. I matured years in those three days. I couldn't just go back to reading Michael Crichton and Stephen King. I needed more.

I spent high school devouring Vonnegut. Cat's Cradle, Timequake, The Sirens of Titan, Breakfast of Champions. Almost his entire collection of novels. Then I moved on to his collections of short stories and non-fiction. They were just as memorable as his longer works.

The two things that could best describe the person I was in high school were politics and Vonnegut. Those were my hobbies. I went to Washington looking to pursue the former and was startled to discover that everyone in this stupid town loves politics and would do anything to get ahead. I, perhaps because of the influence that Vonnegut's works had on me, wasn't capable of keeping up with them. I wouldn't blindly accept internships with legislators that I strongly disagreed with. I wouldn't suck up to get ahead. It just wasn't in me.

That discovery was disappointing. However, I also learned in college that my love for Kurt Vonnegut was far from unique. I was ok with that. I was glad that there were people who appreciated the same style of writing. The same wit. And, most importantly, people who were still capable of outrage over all the injustices in the world and in society. People who shared the same view of the insanity all around them that everyone else was conveniently ignoring. That outrage has served me well here.

Even if everyone loves Kurt Vonnegut, the connection I have with his writing remains intensely personal. His first collection of short stories, Welcome to the Monkey House, is best known for its dystopian "Harrison Bergeron." It's the story that precedes it that earned my attention. "Where I Live" is a short description of his adopted hometown of Barnstable, Massachusetts. (Barnstable is one town over from my hometown of Yarmouth.) "Where I Live" describes Barnstable's aversion to anything new or fancy. Barnstable was made up of people, some of whom were obscenely wealthy, who enjoy the simple pleasures of the natural beauty that surrounded them. It's a story explaining how Cape Codders tick. It ends with a description of the last beautiful place on Earth: the church garden at St. Mary's Episcopal. The church where I was raised and confirmed. The garden where I would play freeze tag and hunt for Easter eggs.

In The Sirens of Titan, a spaceship lands in a Barnstable church parking lot. The description of the parking lot matched St. Mary's perfectly. I know that one of the joys of reading is using your imagination, but having the same mental image as the author and knowing it creates an intense connection that I will probably never have again in literature. The power of that is overwhelming.

Perhaps the ultimate example of how connected I feel to Vonnegut is in his collection of non-fiction, Wampeters, Foma & Granfalloons. His description of his trip to Biafra is the most hauntingly depressing thing I have ever read. But the real connection is in his work documenting the case of a Provincetown serial killer, "There's a Maniac Loose Out There." One man he interviews is a journalist with an ulcer who has seen his fair share of executions. He's uncomfortable with the Provincetown lifestyle (which was drugs and free love; this was before the days of Provincetown being a gay hotspot). He also was my namesake. My great-grandfather. Kurt Vonnegut gave me insight into a family member who died when I was eight. Who else can say that about their favorite author?

Of course, there are all pleasant coincidences that are bound to appear when you live a town over from where your favorite author did his best work. No matter. There is no man that I have never met that has affected me as much as Kurt Vonnegut. When I received word of his death today, I felt numb. God knows I want to cry for him, but that's the last thing he would want. He was very public in how he was looking forward to death. I pray that the trip was everything he could have asked for.

If you've never read Vonnegut, I'd recommend starting with his autobiographical collage Palm Sunday. You will find a man who is intensely moral, concerned with family, and who has led one of the most interesting lives imaginable. It's the best way to appreciate the man. The art can come later.

It may be predictable, but there's only one way for an appreciation of Vonnegut's life and death to end:

Kurt Vonnegut was born on November 11, 1922. He died on April 11, 2007. So it goes.

21 comments:

  1. I don't know if a love of literature spawns outrage at injustice, or the other way around, but they go together. I had the same experience in highschool reading Mark Twain (his darker, later works). Disneyfied adaptations of CT Yankee in King Arthur's Court leave out a quite memorable ending...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Palm Sunday has a chapter by Vonnegut on Twain. He deals mainly with the ending to CT Yankee and its inevitability.

    Vonnegut named his first born Mark.

    ~Rusty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait a minute -- that guy from Back to School was a real novelist?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Among the things [he] could not change were the past, the present, and the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. [after Diane gives Thornton an 'F' for his report, which was actually written by Kurt Vonnegut]
    Diane: Whoever *did* write this doesn't know the first thing about Kurt Vonnegut!
    [cut to Thornton's dorm suite]
    Thornton Melon: [on the phone] ... and *another* thing, Vonnegut! I'm gonna stop payment on the cheque!
    [Kurt tells him off]
    Thornton Melon: Fuck me? Hey, Kurt, can you read lips, *fuck you*! Next time I'll call Robert Ludlum!
    [hangs up]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did I accidentally go to whyilovebooks.blogspot.com? Because that's not where I meant to go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Pips. Say, "hello" to Kurt for me. Miss you both.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad you used this title. I wanted to, but I thought nobody would get it.

    Thanks for not thinking we're as dumb as I assume we all are.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great essay Rusty, now where's the rest of your college application?

    ReplyDelete
  11. HA!

    ~Rusty

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice tribute. You can be interesting when you're not angry, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your discovery of politicos in DC is akin to my realization that I'm not the only one who loves Vonnegut.

    I'd say, conservatively, that 62% of the world's 55 million bloggers mentioned Vonnegut during the past 36 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i went to that garden, unwitting of his death, because i couldn't sleep. on april 11. whoa. cant wait until you visit

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am currently out of town but knew that I had to read your blog after our (brief) discussion on Vonnegut in the comments section a few months ago...

    I can also say that your tribute to him was moving. And that your ending was apropos.

    There's nothing left for ME to say but,

    "If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph:

    THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED
    FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD
    WAS MUSIC"

    So it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice to see another reference to the "heaven now" anecdote...

    ReplyDelete
  17. you were the first person I thought of when I heard the news.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Potweet, potweet.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Vonnegut was a fuckin amazing man, I'm buddies with his grandson. As a fellow Masshole and relatively intelligent human being, I get it. Keep up the good work, Rusty.

    ReplyDelete