6.15.2005

The nerve of work

Actually making me do work.

Well, this is really a positive development. Maybe they won't lay me off again, forcing me to leave my old new job and go back to my new old new job again.

Unfortunately, I saw the Saddest Thing Ever on the way to work this morning, and I have to get it out of my system before I return to funny things. So,

CAUTION -- SADDEST THING EVER FOLLOWS:

This was while driving west on I-66, to where the Dulles access road splits off in Fairfax County. Everyone was slowing down and swerving around something in the road... when I got closer, I realized it was a deer. It had just been struck by a car, and it couldn't have been more than a couple minutes, because it was still in the process of dying. There was blood dripping out of its mouth; a bright red pool of it was collecting on the hot asphalt. On the side of the road were a couple cars and some people standing around, including the woman who had obviously struck the deer with her car; she was sobbing and visibly shaken.

That story's not relevant to anything, but it was a striking image nonetheless. If I'd had the foresight to keep booze in my desk, I would be drinking it right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment