2.03.2005

Virginia vs. the gays (yes, again)

I'm so angry. So very... very angry. Dateline: Fairfax County, Virginia.

In a Jan. 30 letter, Stephen M. Hunt (At Large) asked the principals to host speakers with an "ex-gay perspective" and offer students, teachers and counselors literature provided by the conservative group Concerned Women for America and other organizations.

"Children are being taught that homosexuality is normal and natural. It is neither," Hunt wrote. "To state that it is normal or natural is to promote the myth that accompanies the homosexual activist rhetoric."
Oh, but wait. He's not done.

But in the letter Hunt said students often are exposed to the "Will and Grace version of homosexuality." He contended in the letter that gays often suffer drug and alcohol abuse or physical abuse and that gay men don't live as long as heterosexual counterparts. "There are huge ramifications for people who may make a choice to go into that lifestyle, and we should make sure they are fully aware of the entire issue," Hunt said in an interview.
I don't even know how to properly convey my level of anger about this one. Except to break out the emergency huge-sized font.

OMG WTF!!?!! What F***ING CENTURY AM I LIVING IN? 21st, you say? Well in that case, APPARENTLY WE'VE ENTERED SOME KIND OF FREAK TIME WARP!

In other words, I'm getting the feeling I don't exactly live in the most progressive community ever.

Sorry, but I really, REALLY hate when people in charge of schools start resorting to censorship or outright misinformation in teachings; that's counter to the point of education, which is to learn as much as you can about life. To shield students from the world is to do the opposite of education. Which is, I guess, "dumbening."

So, in the spirit of education, could someone please show Stephen Hunt what it really means to be gay? And I'm not talking about the Will and Grace version. I'm talking about the Deliverance version.

(That's right, I'm implicitly advocating the anal rape of an elected official. Deal with it, Internet!)

No comments:

Post a Comment